North West Branch
Follow Us : Facebook Twitter     
Font size   : Plus Minus Restore
       



Manchester Air Traffic Control Centre, opened as a sub-centre replacing Barton Hall (Preston ACC) & PATCRU on 31st January 1975. It became a centre in its own right in 1993. On January 23rd 2010 the centre closed for good when services were transferred to the new Scottish Centre at Prestwick.

On 22nd January 2020, almost 10 years to the day - with support from the RSA, 55 ex colleagues came together to celebrate the 10th anniversary since the closure. This took place at the fabulously restored 1932 Art Deco Super Cinema & Theatre, The Plaza in Stockport.

Guests enjoyed a welcome drink, followed by many photos of the centre taken over the 35 years, shown on the giant screen in the main theatre auditorium – accompanied by the Plaza’s very own rare Compton Organ that still rises and falls just like it did in 1932. We were then able to view many local BBC Newsreel clips that were taken over the life of MACC. Brought back many memories.

After this, we adjourned to the Café for a lovely buffet and entertainment from local vocalist Andy Powell, to finish a great day of memories and nostalgia.

Attached are some photos of the event, more photos will appear on the North West Branch’s Flikr account in due course.

maccr_01
maccr_02
maccr_03
maccr_04
maccr_05
maccr_06
maccr_07
maccr_08
 maccr_09

maccr meal
maccr_11
maccr_12
maccr_13
maccr_14
maccr_15
maccr_16
maccr_17
maccr_18